Lebkuchen are one of my FAVOURITE Christmas cookies so I needed to try and make my own!
Bursting with a mixture of amazing spices and coated in either a traditional sugar glaze or some rich dark chocolate, these are a PERFECT treat for the Christmassy time of year!
- 200g runny honey
- 85g butter
- 200g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 unwaxed orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 100g icing sugar
- 2tbsp boiling water
- 200g dark chocolate
- baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Line the baking tin.
- Heat the honey and the butter in either the microwave or over a pan of simmering water until the butter is completely melted. Now place this in the fridge for 5 minutes to cool.
- Remove from the fridge and then sieve all the other ingredients in apart from the last 3 on the list. Mix this until fully combined. Return to the fridge and let cool and harden a little for about an hour.
- With slightly dampened hands, break off bits and roll into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball. Place on the prepared baking trays, ensuring to leave a gap for spreading and then flatten them slightly with your two fingers.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the cookies have risen slightly and are firm to the touch. Set to the side and allow to cool.
- Whilst the Lebkuchen are cooling, in a small bowl mix the icing sugar with the boiling water to form a sugar glaze.
- In another bowl, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip one side of each cookie in either the glaze or the chocolate; whichever one you prefer! Leave to set!
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of Christmassy joy!
Find me on Youtube: