Cherry Bakewell Tray Bake
Another birthday request, this cherry bakewell tray bake is perfect for someone can't be bothered with the 'fiddliness' of filling individual tart tins!
The perfect twist to a traditional tart!
- 500g shortcrust pastry
- 6tbsp cherry jam
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1tsp almond extract
- 300g icing sugar
- 20 glacé cherries
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- 12' x 9' traybake tin
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/Gas Mark 6 and grease the traybake tin with butter. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the shortcrust pastry to fit the base and sides of the tin. Spread the jam over the base.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and caster sugar until well combined and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time adding 1tbsp ground almonds after each addition. Add the flour, remaining ground almonds and almond extract and stir well. Spoon the mixture over the jam, ensuring it is well covered.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until it is well risen and golden on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Whilst it is cooling, make up the icing for the top...
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the icing sugar and 3tbsp water until you have a slightly thick icing. When the cake is cold, spoon the icing on top, spreading evenly. Decorate with glacé cherries and flaked almonds and leave to set. Cut the tart into squares or rectangles or however you want!
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube: