Old School Cornflake Tart
A week after my 18th birthday, I moved from a small town in East Anglia to another smallish town in the Midlands to start a new job... on discussion with my new colleagues, I was VERY surprised to find out they had never heard of my FAVOURITE childhood school dinner dessert.
Even after attempting to sell it to them, they were disgusted by the idea of cornflakes, jam and pastry in one dish so I just had to make it and persuade them... so here's the recipe for you to try too!
- 50g unsalted butter
- 120g golden syrup
- 30g light brown sugar
- 100g cornflakes
- 130g strawberry jam
- custard to serve (of course)
- 23cm tart tin, well greased
- Baking beans (if you have them)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas Mark 4.
- Rub the cold butter into the flour by rubbing your thumb to your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and the sugar and using a knife, mix them in. Now add the milk and continue to mix with the knife until well combined.
- Now get your hands stuck in and squeeze all of the mixture together until you have a ball of pastry. Wrap this in clingfilm and then pop in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Once the pastry has rested, remove from the fridge and place on a well floured surface. Taking a rolling pin, roll out the pastry until it is large enough to fit into your prepared tart tin.
- Being very careful, lift the rolled pastry into the tin and press gently so it fills the creases of the tin nicely. Trim any large pieces of the pastry away from the edges until you have a small overhang which will allow it to shrink slightly during baking but not too much that you lose half your crust! Gently lay a piece of baking paper onto the pastry and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice.
- Pop this in the oven and bake for 15 minutes before removing the baking paper and rice insert and then baking for a further 5-10 minutes until the pastry is just golden. Remove from the oven when done and allow to cool.
- Once cool, add the jam and then spread over the base with the back of a spoon until fully coated.
- Next, heat the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan until the butter is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Once the syrup is ready, turn off the heat and add the cornflakes. Fold these in, ensuring they're nicely covered in the syrup.
- Pour the cornflake mixture into the pastries and jammed tin and spread out nicely so it's level.
- Pop this back in the oven (same temperature as before) for 5 minutes. Leave to cool (if you can) for about 15 minutes, cut a slice and smother in warm custard.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy.