Is it a cake or a biscuit? I'll let you decide on that one... but, this recipe is perfect for making your own!
With a spongey bottom, orange jelly centre and a topping of dark chocolate, McVities won't have nothing on you!
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 60g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 pack of orange jelly mix
- 1/2tsp orange extract
- 200g dark chocolate
- 12 hole tart tray
- Preheat your oven to 180C (160C Fan/Gas Mark 4) and grease your tart tray with butter or spray oil.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined and fluffy. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
- Fold in the plain flour until well incorporated.
- Split the batter between the 12 compartments on the tray. Pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes until a skewer poked in comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
- Whilst the sponge is in the oven, prepare your jelly centre. Follow the instructions on the packet jelly but using HALF of the required water as this will allow the jelly to be easily handled without falling apart. After adding the water, add the orange extract and mix until all of the jelly cubes are fully dissolved.
- Pour the jelly mixture into a cake tin or any other baking tin and then pop in the fridge to set.
- Once the sponge bottoms have cooled completely and the jelly is set, use a cookie cutter (about 1 and a half cm smaller in circumfrence than the sponges themselves) to cut out circles of orange jelly which should then be placed on the top of each sponge base. Place these back in the fridge whilst you prepare the chocolate topping.
- Melt the chocolate either over hot water on the hob or in short bursts in the microwave. Now acting quickly, take a tsp and pour a spoons worth of chocolate over the top of each Jaffa cake, (one at a time) using the spoon to spread it down the sides and seal the edges.
- Pop the finished Jaffa cakes back in the fridge ASAP and leave for at least an hour to fully set.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy.
Find me on Youtube: