Marmite and Cheddar Monkey Bread
You either love it or you hate it but I DEFINITELY love IT!
With a combo of mature cheddar cheese and marmite, this monkey bread is delicious spread with proper butter or even just warm on it's own straight out of the oven!
- 180ml whole milk
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4tsp Marmite
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 1 x 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 250g mature cheddar, grated
- 25-26cm cake tin or saucepan
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until small bubbles start to form. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, butter and 2 tsp of marmite until the butter has completely melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Sift the flour and 1/2tsp salt into a large bowl. Sprinkle over the sachet of yeast and then mix this in. Make a well in the centre and pour both the beaten eggs and the milk/butter mixture into it.
- Mix until a soft dough is formed. Before getting your hands dirty; flour your surface and then pour the dough out onto the surface.
- Knead the dough for approximately 10-15 minutes until a smooth and stretchy dough is formed. It will be very sticky to begin with so keep flouring your hands and surface area to prevent that from causing too much trouble!
- Once kneaded, place in a well oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and then put in a slightly warm area to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once risen, pour the dough back onto the surface, knock the air out of it and flatten a little before sprinkling with half of the cheese. Knead for a minute until the cheese is fully incorporated throughout.
- Now begin rolling balls of roughly 50g weight until you run out of dough.
- Lightly brush your cake tin or saucepan with a little melted butter and arrange the dough balls you've just made in circles around the tin starting from the outside inwards. Once you've done this, sprinkle half of the left over cheese in between the crevices between the balls but avoid getting any on top as this will burn when you bake them later.
- Set aside to prove for another 1 1/2 hours until the dough is well risen.
- Whilst the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 200C, fan 180C, gas 6. Bake the bread for 30 minutes and then remove from the oven. Mix the last 2tsp of just boiled water and brush this over the bread to glaze. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and then pop back in the oven for a further 10 minutes until the bread is golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
Find me on Youtube:
Post a Comment