Lemon Meringue Pie Cheesecake
Today's sweet treat is the love child of two of the best desserts to ever grace my mouth..
With the tang of Lemon and the sweetness of Italian meringue, this is a proper delight!
- 300g digestive biscuits
- 145g unsalted butter, melted
- 500g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- 300ml double cream
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Yellow Food Colouring (optional)
- 180g granulated sugar
- 85ml water
- 100ml egg whites, room temperature
- 23cm/9" loose bottomed tart tin
- Blitz the biscuits to a fine crumb and then mix with the melted butter. Pour this into the tart tin and then press down firmly! Chill this whilst you prepare the filling.
- With a hand held or electric whisk, beat together the cream cheese and icing sugar until well combined. Whilst whisking, slowly pour in the double cream and continue to whip on a medium-high speed until it begins to thicken.
- Once it begins to thicken, add the lemon juice followed by the food colouring.
- Spread onto the biscuit base and spread evenly. Leave to set in the fridge for 5-6 hours or preferably overnight.
- Now it is time to make the meringue! Pour the sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it begins to boil, begin to measure the temperature with a sugar thermometer. As this mixture is boiling, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks are formed.
- Once the sugar and water mixture reaches 120C (firm ball stage), slowly pour this into the egg white whilst still whisking; make sure you do this slowly to prevent it from splashing out and burning you.
- Continue to whisk the mixture for 5-7 minutes whilst it cools down and continues to thicken.
- Remove the cheesecake from the fridge and dollop the meringue mixture on top. Proceed to use a blowtorch to brown the edges of the meringue or alternatively place under a medium grill.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
Find me on Youtube: