Proper Moist Carrot Cake
Today's bake is part 1 of a 4 part series where I'll be showing you how to make each cake that makes up this beast of a bake!
As pointed out in the picture, the first tier I will be showing you how to bake is the carrot cake! And it's a moist one!
For the cake:
- 190g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 225ml vegetable oil
- 150g granulated sugar
- 150g brown sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 225g grated carrot
- 75g chopped pecans
For the cream cheese frosting and decoration:
- 115g full fat cream cheese
- 70g icing sugar
- 40ml double cream
- 25g chopped pecans
- two 6' sandwich tins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas Mark 4 and line both of your cake tins with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugars, vanilla extract and the eggs until fully combined.
- Switching to a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the flour mix from step 2 along with the carrot and chopped pecans.
- Once fully incorporated, split the mixture between the two prepared tins and place in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until well risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, it's time to make the cream cheese frosting!
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth. Now slowly pour the double cream as you continue to whisk until the mixture reaches a thicker consistency (similar to buttercream).
- Once the cakes are baked, allow them to cool for 15 minutes before removing them from their tins.
- To decorate, using a palette knife or a piping bag, spread some of the cream cheese icing onto the top of one of the halves until there is a decent amount on it and then place the other half on top.
- If you want to decorate yours how I have done mine, then spread more icing round the edge of the cake and then chuck chopped pecans at it so they stick. Otherwise, you do you!
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube: