Lemon and Raspberry Sandwich Cake
Today's bake is the final part of a 4 part series where I'll be showing you how to make each cake that makes up this beast of a bake!
Today's bake is the lemon and raspberry sandwich cake with a sweet but tangy lemon buttercream!
For the cake:
- 300g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 6 eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 225g raspberries
For the lemon buttercream and decoration:
- 265g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- juice of 1 lemon
- few extra raspberries
- two 20 inch sandwich cake tins
- star shaped nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas Mark 4 and line both of your cake tins with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in the self-raising flour, eggs and lemon zest. Now beat using a manual or electric whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tins and pop in the middle of your preheated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Whilst the cakes are baking, make your buttercream. In another bowl, beat the butter on its own until smooth. Now slowly add the icing sugar a bit at a time until fully incorporated and smooth. Pour in the lemon juice and beat again.
- Once the cakes are done, remove from the oven and leave to cool. Pop your buttercream into a piping bag topped with a star shaped nozzle.
- Pipe splodges of the buttercream on top of one of the cake halves until completely covered. Now put the other half on the top of this to form a sandwich cake.
- Put a few more splodges of buttercream around the top of the cake followed by an individual raspberry.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube: