Apple Crumble Cake
Doing a car boot recently with my mum, she went off wandering and came back with a slice of the most delicious cake I've had in a long time...
So, I decided to try and make up my own version! Filled with cinnamony apple sponge cake and topped with buttery crumble, this might just become your new favourite too!
For the cake:
- 100g plain flour
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3/4tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 90ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 70ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
For the apple layer:
- 2-3 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used jazz apples)
- 2tbsps granulated sugar
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the crumble topping:
- 75g light brown sugar
- 70g granulated sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp salt
- 115g unsalted butter, melted
- 180g plain flour
- 8" spring form cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/Gas Mark 5 and grease and flour your cake tin.
- Start by making your crumble topping. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the two sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour until well combined. Now pour in the melted butter and using a fork, mix this in and fluff it up until it begins to resemble bread crumbs. Don't worry if some are big and some are small. Set this aside.
- Now for the cake. In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate jug, mix together the milk, oil, vanilla extract and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden or silicone spoon. Don't worry if there are a few lumps in this mixture.
- Pour this cake mixture into the prepared tin and leave to the side whilst you prepare the apples.
- In another bowl, add the sliced apple pieces, sprinkle with the granulated sugar and cinnamon before adding the tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Toss these together so the apple slices are fully coated.
- Arrange the apple slices over the cake mixture in the tin before sprinkling all of the crumble mixture on top; ensuring that all the apple slices are covered by the crumble mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. The topping should be a golden brown colour.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube:
Post a Comment