Summer Berry Pavlova
So, after making the humungous cheesecake (which you should definitely go and check out) I was left with a rather large amount of egg whites! So, instead of putting them in a boring omelette, I decided to make this humungous Summer Berry Pavlova!
Strawberries, raspberries AND blueberries followed by a sweet but sour couli make this the perfect dessert for a spring/summer BBQ or picnic.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 250g caster sugar
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 400g strawberries, halved and pitted
- 300g raspberries
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 150g blueberries
- 300ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- large baking tray (big enough to fit a large dinner plate)
- Preheat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/Gas Mark 2 and line your baking tray with baking paper and then draw a large circle in pencil around a large dinner plate, approximately 25cm.
- Separate the eggs and then freeze the yolks to use later.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Add the sugar, 1tbsp at a time, whisking between each addition until the mixture becomes stiffer and glossier.
- Whisk in the vinegar and cornflour.
- Put large spoonfuls of the meringue onto the baking tray, in the circle until it's evenly filled.
- Make a dip in the centre with the back of a spoon and bring up the sides a little. Now pop in your preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave the door ajar whilst it cools completely.
- To make the couli, blend 75g of strawberries and 75g raspberries into a puree and then add the tablespoon of icing sugar. Sift this into a bowl to remove any seeds.
- In a separate bowl, beat the double cream with the vanilla extract until it is thick but still light in texture.
- Top the meringue with the cream followed by the fruit and couli.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube: