Chocolate Hazelnut Caramel Traybake
Caramelised nuts are one of my favourite snacks and after recently acquiring quite a lot of them from work, I knew I had to bake something using them!
A hazelnut enriched chocolate sponge topped with a smooth and creamy caramel icing, a perfect dessert for a nut lover!
For the sponge:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caramelised hazelnuts
- 225g dark chocolate
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 225g light brown muscovado sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 80g unsalted butter
- 140g dark muscovado sugar
- 4tbsp double cream
- 160g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- 20 x 30cm traybake tin
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Line the traybake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Blitz 125g of the caramelised hazelnuts in a food processor. Add the flour and baking powder before blitzing again to a fine powder.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or over a simmering pan of water. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract followed by the eggs, one at a time, adding a heaped spoonful of the flour and nut mixture after each one. Fold in the remaining flour mixture and then the melted chocolate. Fold until everything is fully combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin, level off and then pop in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the muscovado sugar, double cream and melt until everything is smooth. Pour this mixture into a heatproof bowl and beat in the icing sugar with a hand held whisk until the icing is smooth and glossy.
- Quickly pour the icing over the top of the cake and gently spread out in an even layer. Sprinkle over the remaining caramelised hazelnuts and then drizzle over the melted chocolate.
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of Christmassy joy!
- Find me on Youtube:
Post a Comment