Just before Christmas, I took on the challenge of baking over 250 biscuits for people at work!
The second in the selection after the Ginger Nuts I posted last week were these Custard Creams which I managed to get the exact stamp for too!
For the biscuits:
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp milk
- 330g plain flour, sieved
- 120g instant custard powder
For the filling:
- 300g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 1tbsp instant custard powder
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- baking trays
- custard cream stamp (I bought mine from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dexam-British-Biscuit-Cutters-pack/dp/B01IPHT5S2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1P13H9JPCCXO6&keywords=custard+cream+biscuit+stamp&qid=1641224228&sprefix=custard+stamp%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-2
- Piping bags
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the softened butter and sugar until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and milk and beat again.
- Sieve in the flour and custard powder before mixing with a wooden spoon. When the mixture starts to come together, get your hands in there and bring it together into a bowl of biscuit dough.
- Wrap this dough ball in cling film before placing in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden slightly.
- Once the 30 minutes are up, pop the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface before rolling out to a disc of dough with a 5mm thickness. Using the custard cream stamp, stamp out as many biscuits as you can and place them on the prepared baking tray. Pop them into the preheated oven for 8-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.
- Whilst the biscuits are cooling, make the filling. Cream together the icing sugar, softened butter, custard powder and vanilla extract until fully combined. Add this mixture to a piping bag and once the biscuits are cool, split them into pairs and then pipe a decent sized blob in the middle of one half before adding the second half and squishing down slightly to make the whole custard cream!
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube:
Post a Comment