Raspberry Bakewell Tart
Cherry Bakewell Tart is one of my FAVOURITE bakes to scoff into my own face so when a colleague of mine mentioned that he does the same with a raspberry one, I just had to give it a try!
Featuring an enriched shortcrust pastry case, a layer of raspberry jam, almond frangipane and finally topped with some flaked almonds; its the perfect accompaniment to a cuppa!
For the sweet shortcrust pastry base:
- 225g plain flour
- 120g butter, cold and cubed
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps ice cold water
For the filling:
- 160g unsalted butter, softened
- 160g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 160g ground almond
- 1/2tsp almond extract
- 4tbsp raspberry jam
- 1tbsp flaked almonds
- 23cm loose tart tin
- Grease the bottom of your tart tin with butter and set to the side. Preheat your oven to 160C/320F fan.
- Start by making the pastry case. Add the flour, cubed butter and icing sugar into a bowl before rubbing the butter into the flour and icing sugar using your finger tips. Keep doing this until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the middle before pouring in the egg yolks, vanilla extract and cold water. Use a fork to slowly start mixing them into the dry ingredients until a dough starts to form and you can get your hands in there!
- Using your hands now, bring the mixture together into a ball, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour.
- Once the half hour is up, flour your work surface and roll out the pastry ball until it is bigger than your tart tine. Using the rolling pin, lift the circle of pastry over the tin and gently place down; letting it slowly rest into the tin. Using a bit of the excess pastry, begin to press the pastry case into the tin before trimming the excess off with a pair of scissors or a sharp knife.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and now it's time to blind bake. Place a sheet of baking paper over the top of the tart tin before filling the pastry tin with baking beans or rice so that it prevents the pastry case from rising in the oven. Place this in the preheated oven for 15 minutes before removing the baking beans and baking paper and then placing in the oven again for an additional 5 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry case is baking, prepare your almond filling. In a bowl, cream together the softened butter and the caster sugar before fully combined.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time before then stirring in the almond extract. Fold in the ground almond.
- Spread the raspberry jam generously over the baked pastry case before adding the almond mixture on top. Smooth this out with the back of your spatula/spoon before sprinkling with the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. It should be golden brown on top! Allow it to cool for around 20-25 minutes to allow it to set before cutting a piece (resist temptation)!
- Make a cuppa, kick your legs up and enjoy this little moment of joy!
- Find me on Youtube: